Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Youth Service Day


Last weekend Emily and her Americorps team held a community service day for her junior citizen club. They went around the neighborhood planting flowers and picking up trash. Emily will be able to update you more on how this went since I left to play in a golf tournament, but I have noticed a reoccurring trait among our kids, they like to serve. When I came downstairs on Saturday morning to go pick up the kids I found Mario, DeAnthony, and Lacinda sitting on the porch waiting for me. " We didn’t want you to leave without us Mr. Johnny,” they said. They want something to do and jump at the opportunity to get out and work in the community. Now this is in direct contrast to the attitude of most of their parents and adults who seem happy to stay in the house and make little or no commitment to the community. I think over time the surroundings and situations of the poor can get to them and hope is all but lost. That’s when people turn to alcohol, drugs, sex, and other things to kill the pain. I guess our hope is to somehow harness this young optimistic energy of the youth and build on it so that in spite of what discouraging things take place in their lives they can remember the joy of serving and not give up. We hope that these kids will be the ones to rise up and become leaders here in the community.

I'm realizing more and more that we are only rookie's here and don’t completely know or understand the cycle of poverty in which we are living. I’m sure with more time we will learn better methods in mentoring them but for now we just hang out with them and pick up trash together and teach them to read. Hopefully love can defy all odds.
-Johnny






Mario Urkel


Jeremiah Urkel


Shauntay Urkel


Mr. Farmer Johnny Urkel



Steve Urkel

2 comments:

Matt Basinger said...

It always makes my day when I find that you have posted on your blog! You two are truly inspiring and I am so encouraged by your wonderful balance of humility, amazing insight, and gigantic hearts.

Matt

Unknown said...

I would agree, Matt. Discovering a new blog posting by Johnny or Emily makes me run in circles for around a half hour, chant chants I have learned from the discovery channel and explore how deep my fist can actually go into my oral cavity before I finally settle into a nestled position to enjoy the sweet writings of Mr. Johnny or Ms. Emily. Amen.