Thursday, July 13, 2006

Update!

I was able to recover the photos! Im a nerd!


Emily on her 25th B- Day

The nerd always gets the babe in the end.


Finally an update! It seems like we've created a little online community with our comments on the last post. Please keep the comments coming, it was great to hear from ya'll.

Well this summer has been something. Being still in the midst of it I can hardly reflect yet but I can post some pictures and a few stories. We are in our 6th week of summer camp and our closing program will be one week from today. I've been capturing photos and video ( thanks to Jason!) all summer and will be putting out another DVD of our summer camp. This years DVD should be a good one. I will make those available for order so stay tuned.

Compared to last summer this one seems so different. Emily and I have gone from the kindergarten class teachers to the camp directors. I've had my fare share of frustrations. I never realized what a challenge it is to manage a large staff. You don't always get to be the nice guy or everyone's friend but the standards of the program must be held to. The kids are awesome! So many new and old faces this year, we love them all. I think we do well with the children because we are friends with them. Sure we have to discipline them and remind them of the rules sometimes but we always come back to the foundation of friendship. Emily is very good at this. Honestly I've learned a lot. Im planning on writing a report for myself when camp ends. It will be called " What to do and what not to do". But I guess that sometimes the best way to learn and grow is through experience.

Last night Emily and I went to the gym to work out and for the first time we really struggled to get our 30 min run/elliptical done. I think its a sign of how tired we are. At the end of the day we kinda just collapse into bed and enjoy the air conditioning. Lowell and Dixie left for the summer 2 weeks ago. When they left our house was full of people who were here for and intimate leadership retreat with John Perkins. Every bed in the house needs to be washed and made and we still haven't started. I just cant bring myself to make beds in 100 degree rooms at the end of the day.

The cockroaches have made a big return in the last few days. Emily and I caught a big one walking up the wall in our room last night. Oh and speaking of last night......
It was 10pm and I hadn't had dinner so I went down stairs to grab a bite to eat. Its always a bit creepy coming down stairs at night. For those of you who don't know we live in a big old house with 10 bedrooms and six bathrooms and we are living there alone for the time being. So I was a little creeped out and went to make sure that the front door was locked, and it was. I was making my food when all of the sudden the outdoor light on the back porch which has a motion sensor clicked on. I froze....My heart started beating very fast. I had just been thinking about that light the other night when I took the garbage out. I remembered thinking that If I ever saw that light come on I would know that someone or thin was outside. Our back yard is basically a park. The park has 2 gates which are both locked at night and a fence surrounds the entire area.
It took me second but I realized that there was someone out side on the deck. I went to the window and locked out. All of the sudden I saw a hand pass by on the railing to the steps. Someone had just darted past the window apparently running away. I hesitated for a moment then ran outside yelling but all I could see was darkness. I was really freaked out.
After giving it some thought I realized that it was probably this highschool aged neighbor who has been accused of looking in peoples windows in the past.
This was the first incident in over a year where I was scared in our community which is surprising since most people would call our part of town the hood.

Here are some pictures from our zoo field trip a few weeks ago. Check out our "Grow Strong" t-shirts. My second ever t-shirt design. Those of you from the Whitney Youth group Chicago trip of 98 have seen my other one.



Zebras make Joseph real mad



the garden is thriving! Emily takes children over there everyday and they love it. Our staff and kids are all taking veggies home every week. This week we began purchasing our youth garden supplies thanks to a thousand dollar grant we received.





Thanks for reading our blog!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are such a handsome couple. I love it. Hey, the veggies are great. Wish I could get some of those lemons. David wondered where you got lemon cuke seeds. He said they don't exist in the south. Em--when you said last week that you found "a random canteloupe" it made me laugh. I imagined that JP snuck out at midnight & hid one under some other leaves, waiting for you to find it. In fact, maybe it was his hand you saw, Johnny. Love you. M

Anonymous said...

I love the garden, Em.
Great pic of the girls!
Sarah:)

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo!!! A date! Em, you look fabulous! Johnny, well, yeah, you're handsome, but we agree, the nerd gets the babe in the end. Great pics of the kids; I wonder if Joseph has been angry over zebras for all of his short life, or if this is a recent thing? That's great that your family is visiting you guys, JB; it's hard to be far from home and for loved ones to have no idea what your lives are like now. We want you to ship some veggies to us, ok? No, but seriously, those look great... I'll have to get some pointers for my own garden soon! We love you, JALS

Anonymous said...

The garden looks so lush, & the tomatoes & cukes look yummy! I'm jealous of having so many veggies in July. We've picked 5 cherry tomatoes. We finally have some blossoms on our lemon cucumbers--it will still be quite a while before we get to eat any. More pictures of the garden, please, when you can.
Carole

Anonymous said...

Hey J and E

Judah and I are in Idaho right now visiting. but still checking the blog. congrats on your 100 comments. and the veggies look divine. and emily, such a cute dress. just checked out flight prices to Jackson just for the halibat...not too bad. wish we could afford to come visit you. judah still talks about you Johnny all the time and always wants to look at your pictures on the computer. drop us a line. we miss you.
~alicia