Sunday, July 24, 2005

Meet your Meat


Blog frustration has officially begun. Moments ago i had typed a great update filled with passion and humor only to have it disappear from the screen. Now i am forced to try to retype what was so natural and flowing the first time.
Today may be the hottest day since we arrived. We spent the afternoon playing basketball with a group of high school volunteers here from Seattle for the week. They will be doing various grounds work to get the Perkins center ready for the upcoming youth conference. Its nice to be around some fellow northwester's for a while.
Now to meat of the blog, literally. Last night for the first time in over 2 years (more for Emily) we ate meat. We were invited over to dinner by another couple and rather than risk offending them we partook in animal flesh. Some of you non vegetarians may not understand this dilemma but its something Ive been struggling with. Do we tell people before hand that we don't eat meat, possibly offending them and sounding conceited or do we just eat the meat? We don't think its wrong to eat meat we just don't feel its something we have to do. I would love to get some feed back on this topic whether in the comment box of this post or via Email. ( johnny.bertram@gmail.com )


Minor league baseball continues to be our main form of entertainment. With 2 local minor league teams, one of which offers free tickets to every game, we've spent many an evening a the ball park. Both teams have fireworks on Friday nights to draw out the crowds.


We had a formal banquet for the summer interns on Monday night. I borrowed a friends suit that was from the 70's. It was a good time complete with awards and lots of picture taking. Only ourselves and 2 other interns will be sticking around for the next year.
At this point i must admit that this post is nothing like the original and is going nowhere near the emotion of the last so here it will end.
Thank you to the faithful readers of our blog. We appreciate your interest and involvement in what were doing!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Dang, I flippin hate it when sweet technology totally craps out. I bet you guys are going to miss the other interns. I hope you will have other means of good friendship. I heard it's like a bazillion degrees down there. Anyway, don't forget to drink lots of fluids but none with meat. Oh yeah, I don't think it's bad or offensive to say, "we're vegetarians" unless you know they have nothing else to offer.

Anonymous said...

Well, I was vegan for a little while. Now, I eat hot dogs all the time. Nothing quite like a delicious Nathan's slathered in mustard and/or relish.

I think that non-vegetarians can't help but be offended by vegetarians, at least to some small degree. Unless you're a vegan/vegetarian for health reasons (i.e. lactose intolerance), people will see it as a value that you think is somewhat important. It would have to be to make such an inconvenient lifestyle choice. Even if you don't go flaunting it the faces of meat-eaters, it's an ideal that you hold dear and to which they don't subscribe.

I'm not really sure if I've said anything coherent here. In short, eat meat and make friends! :)

Anonymous said...

Although a confirmed and voracious carnivore, I respect the dietary preferences of others, and would never presume to change them.

When I'm having new people over for dinner, I ask them about these things. Vegetarian/vegan, allergies, religious laws or any other considerations.

Barry

Anonymous said...

Poor Johnny & Em! I think it was courageous and sacrificing of you both to eat the meat. However, I think that if you're invited ahead, it's totally acceptable/natural to mention that you don't eat meat. If it's a spur-of-the-moment meal, it seems fine to me also to mention non-meat-eating. You could say that you enjoy "regular" meals by enjoying just the side dishes and foregoing the meat. Sometimes, of course, you may feel there's no way to avoid offending; then you sacrifice for God and the people. But it seems to me that creating a little bit of awkwardness (or risking doing so) isn't evil. You can get beyond it with your normal, gracious people skills. I would HATE it if someone was over for a meal & didn't let me know he was vegetarian! Keep up all the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hey, this is ERik E. I've gotta say I'm not a big fan of vegatarianism in general. I guess I think about what Chris Rock said once, "If you are one of the very few and lucky people on the face of this planet to have a porkchop on your plate, you better bite the shit out of it."

Johnny said...

Thanks to all for your valuable meat input. We feel better prepared to make it known that we prefer non meat products to animal flesh though Erik's Chris Rock quote made me think twice.