Wednesday, January 04, 2006

So this is the new year



We have just returned to Mississippi from a 2 1/2 week trip back to Oregon and Idaho. We had such a great time being with family and seeing friends. Just before we left Jackson to head to Portland I thought it would be a good idea to let the kids from the after school program jump off the top of the play structure and I would catch them. After doing this for about ten minutes I started to feel pain in my lower back and soon I could barely walk. The next day I laid flat and hoped I would be able to walk so I could get on the plane. It was a sore flight but we made it to Portland. The next day we drove to Sunriver Oregon for a vacation with family. We spent the five days there relaxing and watching the snow melt.
The hot tub was very good to my healing back and the 5-hour family poker tournament was exciting. Back in Portland on Christmas Eve we gathered with Emily’s extended family for dinner. Every year instead of buying gifts the Martin family pools their money and gives to a worthy cause. This year our after school program was chosen as one of the recipients of their Christmas giving project. It’s so great to have the support of our family in what we are doing.
We also made the drive down to Boise to see my family. We had a short but sweet trip and watched the Boise State football team lose their bowl game.
We love Portland and it was great to get some time in our old stomping grounds. We had great coffee and awesome sushi. I was even able to jam a bit with the old Stanton studios crew. On Christmas day Emily’s brother Julian and I started a new tradition, free golf.
Spring is in the air here in MS. Today’s high temp is going to be in the mid 70’s.
It feels hard to come back here but I think I’ve always had a hard time in coming back from vacations and trips to the routine. I was hoping to come back excited and renewed but I don’t completely feel that way. Maybe it will take a few days to get back in the groove. One thing I know for certain is that I want to make the most of my time here. I want to invest all I can into the people I interact with. I want to learn from them. The after school program will begin again today and Emily is already back at work getting confused looks from other teachers about her short hair cut.(she cut her hair and sent to a group that makes wigs for kids on chemo therapy)
On our trip I encountered many people who said they enjoy reading this blog so I guess I’ll keep it going.
To everyone we saw on our trip: we love you all and thank you for supporting us, now come visit us here!
Peace
Johnny

The fam in Sunriver

The poker game, I'm all in

With Katie and Jason on New years eve
the hair transplant from emily to johnny was a success

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Johnny - Great to see you! The jam went well. The Stanton Studios has now moved to its new location on Stevens ST with a larger space, a pool table and beer flowin'. Johnny still has the guitar skills and the Taylor sounded good as ever! Busting out the Casio was also great! Looking forward to the next jam session!
~ M West

Anonymous said...

What can I say, I miss you guys like crazy! The pictures are great. Grif says "thanks for including him".
The time with you was really wonderful, but were you really here? We love you and are looking forward to SR in Sept. Love, M

Anonymous said...

So, we really just think Johnny looks fabulous with Em's hair and think he should consider it as a permanent look.... but what we'd REALLY like to see is Emily with HER new look! We miss you guys!!! JALS