Sunday, January 22, 2006


It’s come to my attention, friends, that some of you are losing sleep over being unable to see my new “doo.” May you sleep well :)
Other than the daily questions, “but WHY cut your hair???” we’ve been pretty busy. Johnny’s continuing to pump out material with his cyber band “Synthar,” as well as golfing in our mild Mississippi winter weather, and remaining committed to the kids in our neighborhood. Last week we were able to take several kids to hear the famed African Children’s Choir. The kids sat crisscross applesauce in the front row enchanted with the sounds and movements. We were reminded of the power of exposing these kids to new experiences.
My Martin Luther King event was a success! There were roughly 75 people who participated, including 25 white college students here from Washington State and 25 black Americorps members. John Perkins held every ones attention with his moving words about service and love. The neighborhood clean up went well and especially impacted the youth that showed up from my school. By the end of the day they proudly boasted to their parents that they were life-long volunteers. Other activities included hearing from a black historian about Jackson’s past, and listening to Kings’ Dream speech. We broke up into intentional diverse small groups following the speech to discuss various topics surrounding racial reconciliation. This was the highlight for many of the adults. Johnny and I both led groups and were encouraged to see young people interacting who normally would never have a reason to.
Today we took 10 children to church with us. The word apparently spread since last week when we took just a couple kids, so we ended up driving all over town and late to church. The unrestrained joy consuming the kids as we pulled up in the van caught me off guard. They couldn’t contain themselves. Youth ages 4-13 sat wide-eyed in the front row during the service flipping through bibles and staring at people. De’Anthony looked especially sporty in a blue pin striped suit passed down from his grand dad. It appears that church and McDonalds will become a weekly ritual.
Other weekly highlights for me include fighting a cold, working long hours and cooking. I’m convinced that being a vegetarian makes life more interesting-it’s a good challenge at least. I also just finished reading Crime and Punishment (thanks Luke). Any time I get done with a book I find myself depressed and directionless. I would really appreciate any fiction recommendations people might have. I’m going through withdrawals.
I’ll leave you with this…if you are fighting exhaustion and burn out like me, here’s a word for you:
“Let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.”

Mrs. Bertram

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yor pics look great. How did you get so beautiful? We bought the tickets for 3-30-06. We'll be seeing you. Send the pic of Jacob and the hair. We just finished class. Carole has joined us. We had a good discussion. Hope you feel well, Em. Talk to you this weekend, I hope. Love, M

Anonymous said...

Johnny & Emily - Jerrod let me borrow the DVD you made about Jackson and the Perkins center! I thoroughly enjoyed the film from start to finish, including the outtakes! I will have to share this with D West and Tone-deff. Keep up the great work! ~ M West.

Johnny said...

Glad you saw the dvd Mike. If anyone else would like a copy of the DVD email me your address and I'll get you one. Stay tuned for my up coming documentary on Emily's M.L.K. day project.

johnny.bertram@gmail.com



Donations always accepted

Anonymous said...

Johnny & Emily,
Hey it's Erik from Sea-town (go Seahawks!...yeah, I know, a bit cheesy but what are you going to do?) Johnny, I would gladly purchase a copy of your DVD if only to see how your cinamatrographic (is that a word?) skills have progressed since high school. Remember our video Johnny? So, I'll email you my address.
Emily,
If you are looking for some readin' material, here are some suggestions:
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams--Funniest book I've read in a long time. if you like dry humor, the British, and spaceships and want to know the answer to the meaning of Life, the Universe and Everything (the answer by the way is 42) then pick it up.
Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer--funny book narrated in part by Estonians. Kind of bounces around a bit, but really, really good. Much better than the movie. Also lots of zesty scenes involving naked people.
The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene--Heavy and moving book about Catholicism and Mexico. One of Graham Greene's short stories was the driving force behind Donnie Darko in the movie Donnie Darko. Very powerful stuff.
Alright, hope you guys enjoyed this essay. And hope to hear from you soon,
Erik

Matt Basinger said...

Johnny and Emily - I love to read your updates!! What a neat thing that so many kids are jumping at the chance to go to church with you - you guys are so wonderful and so great with kids, its no surprise that they love you!

-Matt

Anonymous said...

Yo Emily you know we know the short doo is too cute. :) Johnny we would love a copy of the DVD. You gotta teach me how to lob it across the court and bread-basket on the first take like that.

Jason (Philly Guy)

Anonymous said...

Em--did you ever read Gone with the Wind? That's always been one of my favorites. I could suggestions some modern fiction if you like mysteries. Let me know. CG probably has some good classic suggestions.

Anonymous said...

Yo Johnny,,,always enjoy keep'n' up witcher blog and life in ms. As soon as I can figure how to put links on the blogger thing, I will add yers to mine, and will send my like to you. I put mine up over the weekend and am working to make something to read and see. Anyways dude and ette, keep up the good works ya? Do ya git any guitar time in? Bill from Prov CT