Thursday, February 02, 2006

NyQuil Anniversary Toast


It was 4 years ago today that I made the best decision of my life and married the young Emily Martin. Unfortunately we spent our anniversary in bed with fevers and chills. We both came down with some bad cold or flu that wiped us out for the last three days. We’re looking forward to celebrating next weekend.

We’ve been thinking back on the last four years, the ups and downs, and have come to the conclusion that we love each other more now than ever. I’m not trying to complain here but marriage is tough! Even when you find your soul mate you still have to work through stuff that isn’t always fun. Mostly its realizing how selfish you are and learning to get beyond that to where you are truly more concerned with the others feelings and wellbeing than your own. I feel like I still have a long way to go. It seems like with every anniversary that comes and goes someone says that “you’ve made it over the hump”, or “Its all down hill from here, the hard stuff is over” but in reality a relationship with anyone takes effort. I’m seeing that there may not be a plateau of a place to be reached but with time you get better. Looking back over these last 4 years I can see slow, gradual changes in Emily and I that would suggest we are learning, year by year, how to love each other.
So on this eve as we celebrate four years of life and love, we toast with NyQuil and look forward to many more years together.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congradualations Johhny and Emily! That is awesome! I think you are both awesome people and great for each other! I hope you can cellebrate soon! ~ M West

Anonymous said...

We love you, Johnny and Em! Happy Anniversary! We hope you can do it up big next weekend. ~JALS

Anonymous said...

Yay Cheers to you guys, give yourself a TheraFlu chaser!

Anonymous said...

Go maire tú an lá! Nár lagaí Dia do lámh! Rath Dé ort

Unknown said...

Good posting, bro. It inspires me for a future posting myself. I love hearing about the gushy stuff. It makes me feel kinda funny.

Anonymous said...

Wise comments, Johnny. We all have a really long way to go to love anyone a)in the same way we love ourselves, & b)in the same way Jesus loves us--laying down his life for us. But the foundation of the Word, and responding to God during painful times allows Him to make us, little by little, more like Jesus. (II Cor.1:3-9, Hebrews 12:1-13, James 1:2-4, Romans 5:3-5) He PROMISES to keep working with and on us!
We love you!
Carole